Wamphry Shadows

Study area all needed to learn about vampires, occult and the dark arts.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  The CovenThe Coven  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dear members and visitors of this website kindly state the reason you are visiting our website in a section called "The reason" "Or Click here" And tell us what are you here to learn or know about or what kind of help do you need- learn magic/become a vampire/ learn astral travel/ or just for knowledge or any other reason to make it clear for us on what kind of help do you need so we can help you.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» POSSESSING SMELL
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:33 am by AzazelStrix

» Other species
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 am by Vanya stark

» Nosferatu Pact as it is, with detailed explanation after
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 pm by Nataly2209

» Transformation spell ?
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:39 am by AzazelStrix

» Does anyone knows any spell that can change height or help growing
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 am by 6Earz

» Does anyone knows any spell that can change height or help growing
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:26 am by 6Earz

» dark-spells/weightloss spells/instant?
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:45 am by Sadhna Sharma*

» Curse I can use on someone?
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 am by darkdiela5

» Love/Obsession Spells That Work Quickly?
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:46 am by AzazelStrix

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
Whitedemon

Blasphemous

darkdiela5

Nightshade

Charm Moonchild

Sebastian

burningangel1

vampireloard

Torilei Denali

immortal vampire

Share | 

The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darkdiela5

PostSubject: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Mermaid is a mystical creature being known for many centuries and till today, mermaid being used as fictional character in movies, books whilst some of mermaid parts believed to have magical effect, example like in east countries, some people will seek the mermaid's tears to be made as the most powerful love potion. other magical contribution of mermaid that its kiss can heal wounds and one of the spiritual guide for animal totems magic.

Mermaid means 'Sea Maiden', is a creature of half woman(torso and head part) and half fish, generally have same size as normal woman. in some countries, they depicted as beautiful creatures, long hair and beautiful face, sometimes wearing seashells to cover the top or just naked. but others stating it was horrifying ugly with scaly and rough skin. there is a male version of this creature called merman but they are not commonly told or mentioning in legends and tales like mermaids does.

countless legends and stories of Mermaid can be found coming from all around the world, where some of them bring bad aspect of mermaid like the one famous example of the 'bad stories' is about mermaids being a seducing creatures whom luring men to jump into the sea and drowning the victims to death. the mermaid doing this by singing their haunting song. This belief reinforced by the medieval Church, to which Mermaids were an emblem of vanity, lust and the spiritual perils of women and of sexuality. in other stories, mermaids have powers to caused storm and shipwreck making sailors feels fear and being extremely careful not to encounter mermaid in their journey.

the good stories usually describe mermaid as gently creatures whom help lost sailors on the sea to find right direction, as well as save drowning people and return them safely to land. ancients cultures treat mermaid as semi divine goddess of the sea, being worshiped and honored at the seaside temples. even the pirates usually have a mermaid statue hung or carved to their sailing ship, as a symbol of pride, power and luck.

the origins of mermaid is an interesting subject. it is believed Mermaid evolved from Manatees and Dugon, where both have humanly facial appearance(hand like flippers), breast feeding their kids like humans as well swimming like a mermaid. these creatures believed to be serenia or moon species and till today, this is the most popular or acceptable theory among people.

earliest history of mermaid sight seeing documented by Columbus, Philny and beastiary Physiologus while they are sailing in the oceans. although many reports of seeing this creature keep coming till today, most of them is a totally made up, lies or mistakes of seeeing other sea creatures like dolphin and claimed it to be one.

source
http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Mermaid
http://www.trivia-library.com/a/manatees-and-dugongs-the-real-mermaids.htm

Last edited by darkdiela5 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blasphemous

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 am

Interesting read!

I've always been fascinated with the idea of these hybrid-type mystical creatures, especially the Centaur (from Greek mythology).

Also, when it comes to mermen, let's not forget about the ever-so-famous Roman god of the sea, King Neptune! Cool

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
― Edgar Allan Poe
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theync.com
Whitedemon

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 am

interesting.recently a baby borned like this.he or she have no foot they are like a fish or something.but i think he or she is not a mermaid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blasphemous

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 am

WhiteDemon wrote:
interesting.recently a baby borned like this.he or she have no foot they are like a fish or something.but i think he or she is not a mermaid

It's a rare deformity know as Sirenomelia. The legs are fused together, thus giving them that mermaid tail-like appearance. If I recall correctly, it is found in 1 out of every 100,000 births worldwide.

And I believe you might be referring to this child, as her story became quite widespread:

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
― Edgar Allan Poe
Back to top Go down
Whitedemon

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 am

Blasphemous wrote:
WhiteDemon wrote:

It's a rare deformity know as Sirenomelia. The legs are fused together, thus giving them that mermaid tail-like appearance. If I recall correctly, it is found in 1 out of every 100,000 births worldwide.

And I believe you might be referring to this child, as her story became quite widespread:

yes but its not the picture i've seen.there was no foot it was like a real fish.by the way its very rare
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkdiela5

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm

thanks guys. you added/shared lots of interesting information regarding to this post. I always forgot about Neptune being a merman too and the 'mermaid' syndrome as well. Very Happy

Blasphemous

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 pm

darkdiela5 wrote:
I always forgot about Neptune being a merman too and the 'mermaid' syndrome as well. Very Happy

Interestingly, the actual Roman god, known simply as Neptune, is depicted in many ancient mosaics and statues as having human legs, as opposed to having a mermaid tail, and is usually being drawn by hippocamps (sea-horses).

His Greek god counterpart is Poseidon, by the way. Wink

― Edgar Allan Poe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID   

Back to top Go down

The SEA MAIDEN - MERMAID
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1